Happy Thursday friends! We are so excited for our upcoming trip and can’t wait to update y’all when we get back. I am working on a few meals to keep in the fridge, so my mom doesn’t have to worry about cooking while I am gone.
This sweet potato cottage pie recipe is an easy dish to make, and when 2 out of my 3 kids like it, then it is on rotation almost every week. What I love about this recipe is you can mix and add vegetables of your choice, and also make it meatless by using a larger amount of mushrooms. The possibilities are endless, so don’t let the green peas scare you away, just exclude them!
It also stores well in the refrigerator for breakfast, lunch or dinner the next day! My favorite thing to do is to have it for breakfast the next morning.
Sweet Potato Cottage Pie
A clean eating recipe packed with all the vegetables.
- 2 large sweet potatoes or regular potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (in a can)
- 1-2 TBSP Coconut oil or oil of your choice
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 6-8 oz. chopped mushrooms
- 8 oz. frozen peas
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 pound of grass fed, no antibiotics ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- Peel & cut up the sweet potatoes. Place in a large pot of water and boil on high until potatoes are soft. (a fork should puncture the potato easily)
- Once soft (about 20 minutes) drain water and place potatoes in a separate bowl. Mash potatoes until consistency is like “mashed potatoes”
- Add the 1/4 cup of coconut milk, stir to combine and set aside 4. Place same pot back on stove and heat 1-2 tbsp of oil
- Once heated, add onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms, saute about 5-10 minutes on medium-high heat until vegetables have softened
- Add 1 TBSP of garlic and the ground meat. Continue to cook until meat is no longer pink and cooked completely through.
- Stir in 8 oz of frozen peas and cook an additional 1-2 minutes
- Add oregano, thyme, salt and pepper
- Remove from heat, pour mixture into a 11×9 pyrex dish
- Spread mashed sweet potato mixture over the top
- Place in oven at 375 for 30 minutes
I hope this inspires you to try something new, have fun in the kitchen and enjoy your homemade dinner!